Friday, December 28, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Last year my resolution was to review my very obsolete knowledge of Shakespeare. Through the year, I read several plays, watched recordings, saw one live performance, and read some history and criticism. I summarized much of my reading on this blog. Today: one more play, Much Ado About Nothing, which we watched in the 1993 version by Kenneth Branagh. It's highly enjoyable. Sometimes I think Shakespeare liked to try out the same ideas as both comedy and tragedy. All the tragic-leaning events here are so easily corrected.

So far, I plan a completely different resolution this year: to try to use less packaging; that is, bring my own shopping bags and whatever else I can think of to reduce waste. This seems a little too unambitious, but it's all I have thought of so far.

No comments: