Tuesday, September 08, 2009

From the Toledo Museum

We began our visit to the Toledo Art Museum with the early 20th century, and I was quite taken with the similarity of this Brancusi head to African heads. I have the impression that although the museum has a small collection, every item is a masterpiece. The arrangement and documentation of the works is remarkably well done. For example, the single room of African art (which we were heading for) is in between two rooms with early 20th century artists.

Many museums have questions for thought on the panels describing a work: here, I often thought they were good questions that I would actually like to think about. Frequently at other museums, I feel the writers are insulting my intelligence.

Baule Gold Pendant, Ivory Coast

Palm Wine Cup, Kuba people, Congo
The Palm-Wine Drinkard by Amos Tutola is a great book, which I read a long time ago. The "drinkard" is from a good family, but overindulges in this beverage, which naturally ferments in the trunks of certain palm trees. I was really interested to see this vessel for consuming the wine.

Senufo Headdress, Ivory Coast
This has thematic similarity to the mask we bought recently in Washington D.C. The hornbill, which is the only motif on our mask, is one of several animals on this mask, along with a hyena, wild boar, chameleon, and ram. The function of this mask is spiritual protection and it is said to be able to emit fire (I don't know if that's literal or symbolic). In the background is a mask that once belonged to the early 20th century artist Andre Derain.

Hornbill Mask, Dan People, Liberia

Gu Mask, Guro People, Ivory Coast
Most of the masks and other objects in this museum are antiques up to 100 years old, which is unusual and demonstrates how excellent this small collection is.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I'm embarrassed to say I live so close to Toledo and have never been here. You provide me with incentive!