The BBC article about this (dare I call it a hoax?) linked to a number of similar stories about Mona Lisa. To show you what I mean about credibility, here are some of the headlines with dates:
- Mona Lisa 'had high cholesterol' (2010)
- Mona Lisa 'had brows and lashes' (2007)
- Mona Lisa 'happy', computer finds (2005)
- Mona Lisa smile secrets revealed (2003)
- Mona Lisa pregnancy theory mooted (2006)
Here's the claim made about one painting, by Lucien Freud (right):
DUBBED "Big Sue", this 1995 painting by British artist Freud fetched an incredible $33million at auction.How did this genius ever figure out that the woman in this painting is obese? Because she's called "Big Sue"? Because that's what it's famous for? How could they fall for such a shallow announcement? Most of his other claims are equally unimpressive, though he sometimes mentions more obscure conditions than obesity.
DOCTOR'S NOTES: "There are many examples of obesity in art and the subject in this would be classified as obese."