Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Reading about aromas, smells, odors, and how we perceive them

I have mentioned my recent reading project about the senses, with an emphasis on the sense of smell. I've read an explanation of neurogastronomy (how the brain works with the senses of taste and smell),  anthropological studies of the role of smells in other cultures, historical studies of attitudes and theories about odors and aromas, and various works describing subjective feelings about smells and their meanings. I've been reading but not writing much, but I want to change that. So first, here's my recent reading list (some of which I've mentioned before):

  • Neurogastronomy​: How the Brain Creates Flavor and Why It Matters by Gordon M. Shepherd
  • Aroma: The Cultural History of Smell by Constance Classen
  • A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman
  • A History of the Senses: From Antiquity to Cyberspace by Robert Jütte
  • Sensual Relations: Engaging the Senses in Culture and Social Theory by David Howes
  • The Foul and the Fragrant: Odor and the French Social Imagination by Alain Corbin
  • Andaman Islanders by A. Radcliffe-Brown

No comments: