Friday, August 25, 2006

From my email to my friend Erin

I feel very lucky today: I'm going to the Bris of a friend's first grandson. I assume that having been in Israel, you know that that's a ritual circumcision. Of course the Israelis spell and pronounce it Brit. They don't do it just to confuse and confound. It's historical. They picked the other diaspora pronunciations a hundred years ago. My husband says I don't have to look...at the crucial time. Being ex-Reform Jews instead of ex-someotherkindofJews, we have been to only one each of these ceremonies, though this one is a Reform event -- the Reform Jews are going backwards from when we were kids when it was done during the post natal hosp stay without relatives present (you can't possibly find this interesting! But you might be amused to know that one of Detroit's moyles is on everyone's do-not-go-there list because he was arrested for drunk driving: just who you would want to do youknowwhat.)

Anyway last night I went to a community event to support Israel, complete with picketers and bull horns calling us all war criminals recycling slogans from sixties antiVietnam protests. It was indoors so that was just in the parking lot. I am very gloomy about the future of Israel, as are many people, even the most optimistic. To boot, I'm reading Huntington's famous
The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel P. Huntington

In some cases, it's amazing that he wrote around 10 years ago and was very prescient, especially about Islamic civillization and barbarism. The moslems hated it and then went out and did what he said, I guess.

No comments: