Thursday, July 27, 2006

Santa Fe, NM, January, 2005




Looking backwards, I especially remember trips to New Mexico, most recently during a cold snap last January. Streams of water in fanciful outdoor fountains had frozen. Nativity scenes still sat near the altars of historic chapels and churches. The few Indian craftsmen selling their wares on the Plaza bundled up against the cold, some in Indian blankets, some in less picturesque padded coats.

I like the food in New Mexico. On a more distant visit to Los Alamos, I stopped at the Farmer's Market, and bought chili powder from the women who grew and ground the chiles. From her, I also bought a packet of spices and dried corn with a recipe for posole dried corn-pork posole stew. There is much more to Santa Fe food than the Coyote Cafe, though I have enjoyed a few meals there.

No comments: